Monday, November 5, 2018

Happy Blogiversary!

I can't believe I've been writing this blog for a whole year!  It's a Blogiversary! I really love any occasion to celebrate... so a year of personal growth and writing seems like as good an excuse as any other!  My first post, published on November 5, 2017, can be found here.  It was an introduction to "Abby's World" and what my three initial topics of interest were: 1) Physical Therapy-related education, 2) the Female Athlete, and 3) Injury Prevention. Looking back on the past year of blogging, I'd say I mostly stuck to my PT education, writing about courses I was taking, patients/athletes I was seeing, conditions I was learning about.  I threw in some posts about female athletes or women in sports and a little bit about injury prevention, too.
What better way to celebrate an anniversary than to use a photo of my parents on their 50th wedding anniversary?!  Aren't they just the cutest?!
This past year I've experienced considerable growth - both personally and professionally.  The blog has basically served as a tracking device for my professional growth. I've really enjoyed writing these and it has helped me stay organized and a bit more accountable to learning something or reflecting.  I anticipate more of the same in the upcoming year, maybe expressing more of my personal growth as well.  Vulnerability is a personal area of struggle, so going more into the personal realm is a bit terrifying to me.  I've written outlines of several posts that I haven't been able to share yet... but hope to find that courage in the future.  I'd love to hear more from those of you who have been reading to better understand what you've found useful.  Sometimes I just think I'm sharing my thoughts to a giant black hole.  Who are you, readers?

And so, I present The Top Seven Things I've Learned from One Year of Blogging.

1) Time management.  I wanted to make sure the I never went more than 10 days between posts.  I didn't go back through all the dates, but I'm pretty sure I was successful.  Somewhere early along the way, I read that if you want to build a blog with a big following, you need to be consistent with posting on the same day of the week.  But - my goals weren't to build a big following - and consistency wasn't always possible.  I did find myself prioritizing time to learn more each week so that I could keep my blog posts regularly coming, and I published 63 posts in the past year... just a little bit more than once per week!

2) I really like lists.  Again, I didn't go back through my previous posts to write this one, but I noticed a while back that about half of my posts are in list form... just like this post.  I've always liked
"To Do" lists... but didn't expect this.  What does it mean?!  Is this how my brain operates?  Funny enough - it just might be! In PT School, we took a learning styles assessment early in the program.  It suggested that people learn in one of three ways: visual learner, auditory learner, or kinesthetic learner.  I scored 33% on each one which was SUPER UNHELPFUL and ultimately made me feel like I needed to learn everything in two ways to really grasp the concept (that's still only 66%).

I was recently advised to take another assessment of my learning type, but this one had a fourth option: the reading/writing learner.  I came out as 91% of this "other" type... I wish I had known during PT School, though I think that's how I ultimately was studying anyways. Yeesh!  The characteristics listed for a reading/writing learner are someone who keeps boatloads of notebooks and who writes and re-writes study guides.  That's me!  Of course I don't really look back at them, but I can't get rid of a huge chunk of my college notes... I just can't!  I certainly wasn't someone who drew pictures or charts very much (visual), or who tape-recorded my lectures to re-listen (auditory) and I don't actually think I learn much at all from acting things out (kinesthetic).  One of my PT School classmates would be contorting himself in the desk at school trying to figure out biomechanics by moving his own body... I was trying to recreate my study guide or flash cards in my brain. I think that discovering techniques that helped me learn have increased my understanding of why I write lists - and was a big self discovery find over this past year of blogging.

3) You never know who might be reading!  I went to a course on the elbow presented by one of my favorite mentors, Lenny Macrina, that I wrote about here.  That post was all about the impact that social media has had on my practice as a PT.  What I didn't mention on that post, though, was that while I was at the class, I ran into a PT I had met around Seattle a few times, who told me he had been reading my blog! I've had coworkers comment to me at work about it.  Family members have reached out and asked questions or shown support.  A former co-worker at UConn told me she sent my blog posts about pain to her mom and they really resonated with her and helped her feel better.  WHAT?  So, thank you to everyone who has read some of my posts and mentioned them back to me... there have been so few comments posted, but I can see the numbers of people who are checking it out... and I am grateful for all of you, and hopeful that I'm helping you in some way.

4) I have a lot of interests and I learned a lot this past year!  I don't think I was really motivated to learn before working at Seattle Children's.  Maybe that's the typical pattern for a new grad... still suffering from school burnout and needing to learn the ropes of how to structure a day in the clinic, interact with patients, write notes, stay on time... basic things.  And then you start to feel like you're not really a new grad anymore and can focus on ways to grow beyond getting better at basic skills.

I started writing this blog about eight months into my time working at Seattle Children's Hospital when I was starting to feel more confident in my skills as a physical therapist and ready to start learning about conditions I didn't know enough about.  Prior to then, I had only treated one patient with a concussion, I had never used iontophoresis (now that I have - I can tell you I don't really like it as a treatment... but at least I know how to do it and can explain why I don't like it or why I would use it), I had never worked with a transgender person (at least who was openly discussing it with me), I knew NOTHING about pain science, and my total number of post-op ACL patients treated was in the single digits.  These are BIG topics that I felt inadequately prepared to deal with and dove into reading and learning as much as possible to better help my patients.  It also shows me how much more there is to learn, how impossible it is to know everything, how important it is to be a lifelong learner, and how critical it is to have a network of colleagues who specialize so that you know who to ask for help.  I know that I can treat a baseball player - and probably help them get better - but that one of my coworkers would be better at breaking down their throwing form than I am.  So I keep learning about how to do it better by sharing patients and learning from coworkers and reading... a lot.  And it makes me proud that my coworkers know that a teenage basketball player who comes into the clinic might connect well with me because of my background, and would recommend sharing that patient with me.

5) I can't believe I started my blog the year the Seattle Storm won the WNBA Championship.  Since I moved to Seattle specifically to volunteer with the team, it was amazing to watch them work and have the chance to blog about some of that experience.  I'm so grateful that I've been able to work with the Storm, the Connecticut Sun, and the UConn Women's Basketball teams because women's sports are on the rise, the WNBA is up and coming, there is more and more coverage for women's sports, and because it has been so awesome learning about women working in sports and trying to promote them.  I wrote a little about that here.  But writing my own posts about the Storm and women's sports showed me how little there even is about injury writing in sports from a healthcare provider perspective, and there's even less when it comes to women's sports.  It's challenging because of athlete privacy - but I thought I had a unique perspective on some of the injuries or risk factors that were being discussed around the WNBA and was glad to write about them.  I can do more.  I will do more.

6) The opportunities for women in sports are still severely limited.  Writing a blog requires a considerable amount of reading and research.  I found a few more women to look up to and learn from during this process... but they were few and far between.  Many of these women are clinicians treating athletes and patients - they're not writing about their experiences or regularly presenting at conferences, so it's hard to learn from them.  They're doing all the right things - but they're not on the social media boards the way so many males are in our profession.  Something I never publicized were my efforts to try to change opportunities for women working in sports medicine.  I wish I could say I'd had more success on my efforts in the past several months, but I've hit several road blocks.  I will not stop this battle... and I hope the upcoming year will result in continued growth and more opportunities.

7)  The world is changing.  Politics are affecting healthcare and women and I didn't really express my opinions of this on the blog very much, but all my increased reading made it very apparent.  I'm sure some of my opinions came across in the blog, but overall I've tried to remain apolitical in this space.  I can't promise it will remain that way because I care about so many of the things that are happening in the world.  I'm interested in global warming - but have not read anything about the topic.  I'm interested in healthcare reform... I spent several days reading the Obamacare (Affordable Care Act) legislation during PT School so I could present it to a clinical rotation as well as to my classmates.  I care about special needs children, people with mental health issues, those who are experiencing chronic illness or chronic pain, and anyone with a pre-existing condition who may be impacted by healthcare change.  I have considerable interest in mental health and know that there will definitely be posts about it in the future.  By and large - I've kept the political opinions out of here, with the exception of gender equality issues - and I expect it will probably stay that way.  Maybe.

So that's a year of blogging!  Thanks for joining me on the ride... it's been fun!  Please comment, even if to just say hi.  I'd really appreciate it.  Here's to another year of learning and helping people get back to their favorite activities.

2 comments:

  1. YES, the world is certainly changing and you're a part of it! Yay I will be reading more :) so happy to share an office space with you and be in charge of fun & celebrations... PLUS be surrounded by so many people enthusiastic about learning!!!! :D you are awesome and HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, PoFaC! Thanks for your support and for bringing more sparkles and unicorns into my life.

      Delete