Thursday, July 26, 2018

Women in Sports in the News!

I have several blog posts that I have started drafting that are in skeleton form.  Ideas pop into my head while I'm doing my continuing education work or reading things online that I think I'll want to learn more about in the future and I start up a draft for later.  I had plans for this week's blog because I just finished reading a book I really enjoyed... and then I hopped onto my Twitter and Facebook accounts and saw two really awesome articles about some amazing women in sports.  Change of plans! This week we're looking at some real trailblazers.

First: this awesome video from Gatorade Performance Partners about the Female Athletic Trainers serving in the NFL. Maybe someday, it won't matter that we identify them as females... but for now, this is important!  I came upon this post because the Head Team Physician and Orthopedic Surgeon for the Connecticut Sun, Dr. Katherine Coyner, tweeted it.  I recently connected with her and have been following her work at the University of Connecticut Health Center and with the Connecticut Sun from afar.  (To my knowledge, there are four WNBA teams that have head physicians who are women, two of which are orthopedic surgeons.  The Minnesota Lynx operate with surgeon Dr. Nancy Cummings, the New York Liberty work with Dr. Lisa Callahan, and the Phoenix Mercury work with Dr. Amy Jo Overlin.  These women are trailblazers and their career paths are inspiring!)  Back to the video... there are six female athletic trainers in the NFL out of 145.  But more than 50% of athletic trainers are females and more than half of the current students in athletic training programs are also females (according to the clip).  I'm sure these ATCs don't all want to work in the NFL - or potentially any of the professional men's sports... but opportunities for women in professional sports are limited.   Check it out!


I saw this video first thing this morning while I was perusing my social media over breakfast.  I then went to work... treated some kiddos at Seattle Children's Hospital... and came home to find this post:

<--Jenny Boucek, former Seattle Storm Head Coach, now Assistant to the Coaching Staff/Special Projects with the Dallas Mavericks


I first met Coach Jenny Boucek when I was an undergraduate at UConn and she came to watch practice before an upcoming WNBA draft.  I remember asking her if she wanted to draft a team manager... I already knew where I wanted to go after college.  We had a nice chat and our paths crossed numerous times over the years.  I loved that she was the Head Coach when I first came to Seattle to serve as the Storm Physical Therapist.  She's a wonderful person.  And now she's navigating uncharted waters as a pregnant coaching staff member for an NBA Team!  I can't wait to hear more about how her story unfolds, but this first article about her job prospects from a few NBA teams gives me hope. I truly believe that with ANY job... it should only matter that the best candidate is hired.  Based on this, it looks like employers are now starting to join in that belief and cross the gender boundaries that were so much more rigid in the past. Way to go, Mark Cuban.

Both of these news clips brought me joy.  The opportunities for women are growing right in front of my eyes, particularly in sports - and not just in women's sports.  We can still do better - but let's enjoy these moments and then get to work on making more progress.  This upcoming weekend is the WNBA All Star Game and I can't wait to watch while I'm on a quick visit home to the East Coast! 

Any other inspiring stories you've come across and want to share!?  Post a comment... and consider following the blog!


2 comments: