Sunday, December 24, 2017

Running Mechanics Assessment for Physical Therapists

Two days ago - I wrote that Physical Therapists should be looking at mechanics - triggered by a patient coming in needing their running mechanics assessed after a physical therapist said they didn't do this work.  I had every intention of writing my own blog post on some of the key things to look for to assess running - but then Mike Reinold posted a write up  this morning based on Chris Johnson's running training - and they're experts.  So rather than re-invent the wheel - Here's Mike's post from today entitled: "A Simple Approach to Running Mechanics for Clinicians." (Seriously this could not have been more timely!)

Quick Summary:  Chris and Mike are recommending you look at the Four S's: Sound, Strike, Step Rate, and Speed. While this is not exactly the same method that I assess running form - I'm thrilled to see how they do it, and I can't wait to update some of the techniques I've been using.  I'm big on listening to the sound that my patients make - with running, walking, jump-landing, and plyometric activities - so this was not new to me.  I've never seen an app to use for cadence - only learned about using a metronome which I have done on a few occasions.

Ultimately - check Mike's post to learn some simple things you can look at in a runner experiencing pain to try to fix their form.  If you can't fix it so they're pain-free, find someone who's an expert such as Mike and his crew in Boston or Chris who is here in Seattle.

Happy Holidays!




No comments:

Post a Comment