Monday, April 20, 2020

New WNBA Injury Data Published!

Alert! Hot off the Presses! Physical Therapists working in Sports... Athletic Trainers... Strength and Conditioning Coaches... High School Basketball Coaches... Female Athlete Parents... Orthopedic Surgeons... WNBA Colleagues... Basketball Fans... Any one else who is interested in learning something today... Check this one out.

Presenting at Seattle Children's Sports Symposium
A new paper was published (April 16, 2020) in Arthroscopy, Sports Medicine, and Rehabilitation entitled "Injury in the WNBA from 2015-2019."  You can find the paper here. I jumped for joy to see this new release when it was in my inbox this morning.  Gotta love alerts that know what I'm interested in.  In case you don't know, women's basketball player injuries was the topic of my PT School Thesis paper, "College and Professional Women's Basketball Players' Lower Extremity Injuries: A Survey of Career Incidence" which you can read here.  In November 2019, I
had the opportunity to present on this topic to the Sports Medicine Department at Seattle Children's Hospital, updating my findings and making it more applicable to our department's work in pediatric sports medicine.  This topic is on my mind constantly, and since WNBA Physicals were supposed to be this week, now postponed until the coronavirus battle is under control, I'm thrilled to have basketball on my mind.  A new publication five years after my own with some similar findings from an entirely different approach was both gratifying and validating and this paper could not have come at a better time.

The new paper, written by Orthopedic Surgeons at the University of Chicago summarized injuries in the WNBA between 2015 and 2019 which were compiled from publicly accessible websites.  Interestingly, the findings were similar to my research with regard to ankle sprains being the most common injury and both papers explore ACL Injuries.  My study only looked at lower body injuries so it did not examine concussions, but this recent paper did and I've previously written about the WNBA Concussion Protocol here.

Here's why this paper is important, in my opinion.

PubMed is a search engine for research papers, kind of like Google, only your search will bring scientific information. A PubMed Search conducted today, April 20th, for "WNBA AND Basketball" will give you EIGHT results.  In comparison, A PubMed Search for "NBA AND Basketball" will give you 120.  This new paper doesn't appear in that search.  Neither does mine.  I'm not sure what you need to do for PubMed to determine you're worthy, but it's apparent that the topic isn't a common one found in this search engine.  PubMed is where I go first when I want to find research on a specific topic that impacts my patients. 

So how about a different search engine like Google Scholar.  There "WNBA and Basketball" has 5,120 (94 results since 2020), including this new paper and my own, and "NBA and Basketball has 55,000 (1140 since 2020).  Obviously I did not screen every title to see if they actually refer to basketball and the NBA which is why I wrote the search this way, but it's SO EASY to see the discrepancy.  In my opinion, a new publication looking at the WNBA is a HUGE win for the WNBA. 

The papers that are found on the Google Scholar search are on all sorts of topics.  There are publications about injuries, like the ones I'm talking about and, as a physical therapist, which I find most interesting.  But there are papers about basketball, about female athletes, about gender differences from various perspectives including pay and spectator attitudes, differences between draft selection and playing times, sexuality, fan experiences, race, television time, and the list goes on. 

The battle to improve opportunities for women in sports continues.  The battle for pay equity, though improved with the new WNBA Players Association negotiations for their collective bargaining agreement, continues.  The battle for sports media to increase awareness of women's competitions and to increase support of elite female athletes continues.  And this week, the battle for increased awareness of injury data - which ultimately can help contribute to injury prevention strategies, continues, but with a step forward.  I tip my hat to you, University of Chicago Orthopedics. 




No comments:

Post a Comment