Thursday, July 18, 2019

Ways to Move This Summer

Earlier this week, I had a unique opportunity to do some work with a small child, maybe about 3 years old? She wasn't my patient... it was a special circumstance...  and, though she was very, very cute, this was entirely out of my comfort zone.  Though I do work at Seattle Children's, my patient population is between ages 5-21, with the majority of them between ages 9-15.  That's right, I spend most of my day with teenagers. It's awesome.  The younger kids will still talk about Disney princesses or super heroes and the older ones can discuss books I read when I was a kid, sports, movies... nothing deep, nothing life shattering.  It is a rare occasion that an older patient comes in and discusses politics or religion or their job - though several of the younger kids talk about their church camps or youth organizations or really interesting volunteer projects they work on and some of the teenagers do work.  It's entirely different from the conversations I used to have when I worked with adults who had stress from jobs, older parents or younger children, money woes, car break downs, or deeper interests that required me to think.  A 3 year old was uncharted waters.

One does not simply sit and have a conversation with a child of this age.  This particular child didn't even really sit at all. She was constantly on the move, excited to explore the world around her, touch everything colorful in the Seattle Children's Rehab space.  I'm not sure how parents do it!?!  I'm not sure how my coworkers who do work with children this little do it!?!

Anyways, I was tasked with finding things for this little girl to do for about twenty minutes.  Fortunately, I had just read a new Community Education flyer from the Seattle Children's Sports Medicine Department entitled "35 Ways to Move Your Body This Summer."  My awesome colleagues - a rock star physician and three incredibly talented physical therapists (also team #StrongWomen) - collaborated on this project to provide families with ideas to keep moving.  (Message me or comment with email address and I'll send you the whole PDF!)  This list came in handy when trying to identify things to use with a small child - but could easily be applied to all ages - kids through adults - to find ways to stay active during the summer time - and beyond!  Here are some of my favorite suggestions from the list, and some that I used to survive working with a tiny kiddo!

1) Make an obstacle course: in the clinic we have access to lots of cool things to climb over, jump on and off of, balance on, and even a tunnel to crawl through. This is an easy thing for children to help build and then use to keep moving, and then rearranged.  Or, perhaps you're going to the playground and using the items there to make an obstacle course.  Either way - so much delight from that little girls face with crawling through the tunnel and jumping onto colorful circle dots.
https://www.amazon.com/Discovery-Kids-Adventure-Removable-Lightweight/dp/B07BR83L6J/ref=sr_1_55_sspa?keywords=crawl+tunnel&qid=1563483750&s=gateway&sr=8-55-spons&psc=1
2) Water Play: this could be in a pool or at the beach or running through the sprinkler in your back yard.  At the beach, you can bring various toys to play with - like a beach ball or shovels and pails to build a sand castle with a moat.  If the water isn't too cold where you are, and you're going in to swim - you can also play water games, swim races, hand stands in the water, or see how long you can balance on one foot while in the water.  For me, water play is kayaking.  In fact, I wish I was in my kayak right this minute.  But there are so many other options good for kids!  In Seattle, you can rent Canoes near UW, link  or rent kayaks or paddle boards at Green Lake or multiple places on Lake Union.  Tons of the teenagers coming into the clinic have been trying out paddle boarding this summer because it's so popular here.  Endless options to get outside and keep on moving.

3) Boot Camp or 4) Circuit Training and 5) Stretching: Attached to the "35 Activities" is a list of exercises and a list of stretches. But these additional lists can be organized in tons of different ways.  For example, boot camp directs you to choose a few exercises such as jumping jacks, push ups, sit ups, running in place and you do as many as you can for a minute, and repeat the routine a few times.  This idea is similar to circuit training, a technique I commonly use in the clinic, though the intensity is a bit different.  Using a variety of stretches, you could create your own home yoga class!  Even more fun, lay a towel out in the yard and do it outside!  I've previously written about my affinity for yoga here and strongly feel that though the intent is usually stretching, several stretches require you to work hard and also improve your strength and overall fitness. The list goes on with many ideas for games using these exercises such as assigning each one a letter, and then spelling out your name or a word.

So many great suggestions, and I've only touched the surface of the list from my coworkers!  This resource is really great - I can't wait to share it.  Don't forget about the tons of ways you can make walking fun: go somewhere different to explore a new neighborhood, make a list of objects to find (scavenger hunt) and see how many you find, walk your dog, go with friends, do it in the woods or at the beach, or make a game out of it like dancing every time you see a car drive by you.  Ride your bike or a skateboard or a scooter.  Also, a pack of sidewalk chalk makes your driveway into an endless number of games - like four square or hop scotch or into a race track.  My niece and nephew used to make a race track in their driveway with lava areas they had to avoid or stop signs or change of direction arrows that they drew before riding scooters or bikes or skates on it.

All these suggestions are a great follow up to my post last week about the negative impact of early sport specialization.  That post discussed concerns with athletes starting to play only one sport too young.  Though there is varying information, it is recommended that kids should play multiple sports until at least finishing middle school, probably somewhere around age 14.  This 3 year old had NO problem with wanting to climb on things, jump on things, stack cones, hop, skip, jump, squat, throw, kick... you name it, there was a TON of variety.  I don't think you need to be participating in multiple organized sports - you just need to move in more ways.  For example, strength training in an organized manner rather than playing your sport year-round could be a great way to improve your fitness and make a more skilled athlete.  Or, have a dance party with your friends... it's certain to look different than your usual sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment