Thursday, March 14, 2019

Happy Pi Day!

I had a pretty busy last two weeks with cross country travel, climbing some stairs in support of Multiple Sclerosis, studying, having a student, and just plain life. This week - I'm bringing 5 random thoughts your way...

1) Happy Pi Day Everyone!  In case you're not familiar with Pi, it's a mathematical number that is used in a bunch of equations and is approxmiately 3.14159... so since today is 3.14 - it's Pi Day.

2) A friend told me that the way we know I'm still young is that I can still tolerate red eye flights home to Connecticut.  Ha!  I have it down to a system now, but read a few articles, like this one,  that made suggestions for how to make this the best travel option:
  • Get a window seat - always - and I prefer to lean left, so I always pick an A seat - but this way you don't have to get up if someone in your row needs to use the bathroom and you've chosen the aisle. 
  • Take the latest flight out possible so you're staying up past your normal bed time and will be tired enough to sleep on the plane.
  • Consider your travel attire to optimize sleep on the plane.  I personally have a travel pillow, travel blanket, and face mask to block out the light and usually wear a hoodie to make sure I'm warm.  Airplanes are cold and I hate sleeping cold. 
  • Sleep aids.  I personally take Nyquil to fly on my red eyes and as long as I take it early enough, I'm pretty much good to go on the other end.  
3) I went to the eye doctor today.  I've been trying to get contact lenses but I've had previously two eye surgeries that may have impacted the shape of my eyeballs and it has been challenging to find a pair that is comfortable and lets me see well.  The current trial lenses I'm in are the best I've had yet, but I keep feeling them in my eyes, which suggests my eyes are dry.  It's not them (contacts)... it's me.  So my eye doctor took some photos of my eyelids and told me all about how oil glands in your eyes work and should look on this picture.  The glands are the white stripy things and they're supposed to be pretty straight, but mine are bending a little, which isn't too bad but does impact the lubrication of my eyes and may impact my success with contacts.  Cool pic?  Or creepy?

4) It's National MS Awareness Week!  This was my fifth year participating in Climb to the Top (of Rockefeller Center) raising funds for Multiple Sclerosis.  I've previously written about MS here and the work that this fundraiser alone has done is so inspiring.  My team captain was featured here doing some awesome things to raise funds, awareness, and hope for those who live with MS. 

5) Tonight I'm hosting my first PT Pub Night, since Seattle hasn't had one in a few months and I wanted to see my favorite PTs from around the city.  I previously wrote about the top reasons you should attend PT Pub Night here, but right now, the top reasons to attend in Seattle tonight are that you could meet the PT Student I have working with me and tell her all your favorite things about being a physical therapist... so she doesn't have to hear it all from me.

That's all for now... hopefully the photo of my eyeballs won't give you nightmares!

No comments:

Post a Comment