Sunday, March 4, 2018

Climb to the Top for Multiple Sclerosis

Today I climbed to the top of Rockefeller Center for the fourth consecutive year. Why would I do such a thing? Because it’s a fundraiser for Multiple Sclerosis and that cause is important to me- and because I can!

View from the Top of the Rock
View of NYC from the Top of the Rock

The Climb is 66 flights of stairs- 1215 steps- that today took me 23 minutes and 45 seconds. Those 24 minutes were grueling.  My legs started to feel like lead around the 10th flight and my lungs were gone around the 20th- not to recover for several hours because it’s pretty cold at the top and they burn as I tried to catch my breath. This year’s preparation included a lot more weight lifting along with regular stair training steady pace and intervals including at least 11,500 steps in the past 8 weeks.  I endured one ridiculous training session in an apocalyptic hail storm in Seattle just a few days ago.  There was some foam rolling - because #RecoveryDays.  There was biking and running and circuits.   Last year it took 26:05.  The year before that 28:13.  And the year before that, my first effort in 2015, it took me 30:59.  So, totaling up all the minutes of training, and all the minutes of climbing for these events - I've collectively suffered maybe one week’s worth of discomfort.  Perspective: my friend who has MS (who also makes this climb every year and rocks it!) deals with so much more and on such a larger scale. Every ache I've experienced for this is such a small reminder of a much greater cause- and motivates me to fundraise and train harder. 

Let me be clear - this event is not sad.  It's raising money for a serious health condition, Multiple Sclerosis, which a friend lives with every day.  Having sick family members and friends may be sad- but this event is not. It’s empowering! And it’s challenging It's a bit of a party with an MC and DJ and free t-shirts and Pom Poms. An indoor vertical 5-K road race with lots of bananas and granola bars and weird drinks to sample and pamphlets and tracking bibs and both a start and finish line. I love it.  I love flying to the East Coast to visit with my family and friends for the weekend.  I love that it is an annual event that I regularly train for and fundraise for.  I love that my friend has a huge group of people rallying with her and collectively climbing up those 1215 steps.   I love that it is something that benefits a serious health condition.  And I love that the event raises tons of money!  As my friend said when she greeted the team at brunch following the climb, “Let’s keep raising these funds every year until we no longer have to!” 

Here are a few facts about Multiple Sclerosis (MS) from the National MS Society Website:
1) The cause of MS is unknown - but it is thought to be impacted by environmental factors.  It is more difficult to find a cure when a thorough understanding of a cause is unknown.
2) MS is an immune condition in which your body fights off it's own central nervous system.  The central nervous system includes your brain and spinal cord, so when this occurs, a variety of symptoms can occur depending on where the degeneration occurs.
3) MS is most often diagnosed in people between the ages of 20-50 and is two to three times more common in females. It is most common in caucasians with northern European descent.
4) According to this website, the Pacific Northwest has the highest rate of MS in the world.  There are studies looking at geography, vitamin D and environmental factors such as bacterial infections in an effort to determine the cause.
5) There are numerous types of MS.  Commonly, the condition is broken down into four types, but in actuality, because each person presents differently, there are many more than are generally outlined.
6) What can you do to help?  You can donate here to support further research, or you can join me to climb next year and raise money with me!

Overall- a successful training season with improved climb time compared to last year, much better fundraising, and a fun time had by all!


No comments:

Post a Comment