Tuesday, November 21, 2017

About Me - Professional Abby

I guess I just jumped into trying to be a blogger without actually introducing myself sufficiently.  My apologies.

Hey there.  I'm Abby Gordon - a Physical Therapist living in the Seattle area for the past 3 years.  Job-wise, I'm currently working at Seattle Children's Hospital in their outpatient sports medicine Mill Creek (soon to be Everett, WA/North) clinic.  On the side, I consult with the Seattle Storm and recently have added on consultation for the Spectrum Dance Theater.

How did I get here? The personal basics: My undergraduate education was a BS in Exercise Science from the University of Connecticut in 2007.  While in college, I was also a manager for the University of Connecticut Women's Basketball Team for four seasons along with a season each of Women's Soccer and Softball.  After graduating, I worked for the Connecticut Sun Women's National Basketball Association team as their Travel Coordinator and Equipment Manager for four seasons before returning to UConn for my DPT in Physical Therapy which I completed in 2014.

While in graduate school I wrote a research project focusing on women's basketball lower extremity injuries.  My paper, if you're so inclined, was published in 2014, and you can feel free to be the only person, maybe ever, to read it: here.  The research process was incredibly beneficial in helping me grow as a physical therapist.  I have much more appreciation when I read scholarly writing now, because I know that it took several years for those papers to get to publication - along with blood, sweat, and tears of a group of investigators.  I have, on several occasions, considered further participation in research - but then feel like there's so much information to read - I should start there and get to the research at a later point in time.  This blog is a way for me to keep some of the research I'm reading organized and share key ideas that may help others.

So there's the basics of how I came to be AIG DPT... You'll see the basketball theme permeating the physical therapy career.  Basketball, somehow, is my favorite thing of all things.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment