Sunday, September 2, 2018

"Like A Girl"


Physical therapists observe how people move and try to guide them in ways to move more efficiently. In case you missed my previous post "What do Physical Therapists Do: Installment #1 - We Look at Mechanics" - you can review that one here for more specifics and then come back...  Go ahead, I'll wait.

Welcome back.  Today we're getting a tiny bit political.  Not White House political...good heavens no.  This is a social issue.  You may feel like I'm rambling... I felt that way, too.

I'm currently playing in an adult co-ed softball league... see photo to the left where I'm rocking  my tall socks, batting gloves, and BoSox hat.  Have to look the part... and keep my hands soft... they're my money makers!  I digress.  I was warming up with a teammate, progressing our throws into longer distances, chatting about our days, and I observed that he was throwing almost exclusively from his elbow, no rotational motion of his trunk, no follow through, not really using his legs at all.  I've only played with him a few times before, but I was concerned that he might hurt himself.  I asked him, "Who taught you how to throw?" And he said, "Why, do I throw like a girl?"

Poor guy - he never heard the end of it from me. The whole night. I'm still proud of myself for the timing and word selection of my immediate response - that he should wish he threw like any of the girls on our team. My female teammate was warming up next to him, snapping her tosses with beautiful efficiency and consistently reaching her target.  He did apologize.  I'm sure he didn't intend to use those words.  I'm sure he didn't mean to put down the entire female gender in a flippant manner.

I'm definitely not an expert on throwing mechanics, but I know a few things that could have helped him get better.  More importantly, I could have given him a few tips that might prevent him from having an injury.  None of those pointers were provided because I was too stuck on his words.  I don’t walk around making suggestions to random strangers- though sometimes I want to.  I don't go to a gym and interrupt others who are working out to change their mechanics, even if it makes me cringe.  But this is my fun time... and I really hate having to play physical therapist at the field. From a Physical Therapist's perspective, I was concerned that he could hurt himself (and his throw is inefficient if he cares about being any good at rec softball).  He's not just looking like he's going to hurt his elbow and shoulder, his back is taking a toll every time he tries to make a long throw from the outfield.  

The next morning in the clinic (I couldn't believe it!) - one of my patients, a ten year old girl, was wearing a "Like a Girl" tee shirt.  I high-fived her!  #GirlPride I asked her about her shirt.  She said girls can be superheroes.  I love working with children.  They're hilarious.  Anyways... I had just started getting over the little softball episode, when more situations like it occurred.  Maybe I was already on the lookout for them because of it - but with repeated episodes, this blog post was born.

A few days later, Breanna Stewart was named MVP of the WNBA! I was able to attend her press conference where she made an amazing speech about using her platform to promote the issues she finds important to improving the world.  The posts from the league and various media sources had the worst comments!  Terrible.  She's trying to bring awareness to important issues - like registering to vote - and someone posts a comment with a photo of an empty kitchen - like that's where she should have been instead. I'm so disgusted.

And then another episode.  I was working with a young male who told me that he wouldn't do some of the exercises I recommended for his home exercise program because they were "mom exercises."  I had asked him to deadlift a barbell that was not loaded so I could see what his form looked like and had recommended some accessory exercises to supplement the workout.  He said he may as well go to a Pilates class because that's what moms do.  And, though I tried, I failed to make any change in this perspective.  These are learned behaviors! 

During the 2018 NCAA Basketball Tournament, 16th-seeded UMBC Men's Basketball upset first-seeded Virginia.  Several people in my life - and boatloads of people on social media - said it was the first time this feat was ever accomplished. WRONG.  It was the first time in men's college basketball, but Harvard Women's Basketball had upset Stanford Women's Basketball in a 16-seed upsetting a one-seed twenty years earlier.  Women did it first in 1998.  I spent days correcting everyone, responding to posts online.  I'm not really sure why all of these things keep bothering me.  I can't explain it.  Maybe educating others is the best I can do to start bringing awareness to what people are saying, but for the sake of my niece, my cousins, my friend's daughters, my young female patients - and all the young people - boys and girls, we MUST do better.

Words Matter.  Don't let these occurrences continue.  Speak up.  

3 comments:

  1. Most of the blogs pretend themselves as most usable and updated blogs with new information but sometime truth might different. I want to share some facts related to this subject which will help people to enhance their skills.
    แก้ปวดคอ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came to this blog and it helped me to add few new points to my knowledge. Actually, I am trying to learn new thing wherever I find. Impressive written blog and valuable information shared here.
    แก้ปวดหลัง

    ReplyDelete